Many times, when you work with someone to build your site, one of the first things that will either be asked or discussed is: “Where is or will your site be hosted?” and “What domain have you decided to use?” which usually
results in a resounding, “uh?
To help dispel some of the website terminology, including the hosting, let’s go into what this means and why it’s so important to know.
I equate all these pieces to the building-a-house analogy.
- Hosting – Before you can even furnish or paint your house you need a foundation for it to be built on. This is what your hosting piece is. The foundation of your site.
- Domain/URL – The domain/URL is simply the address. Like a house, before it’s built it’s given an address so that your friends/family can find your new home.
- Platform – The walls of this home including the insulation, roof, windows, and doors which is what we call the platform that your website is built on. This could be WordPress, SquareSpace, Wix, Weebly and so on as there are many platforms you can use to build a website.
- Themes or Code – Then there are theme’s or code that are similar to all the furnishings, cabinetry, flooring, sinks, faucets, and all the things that go into making a house a home. These themes or code help your site to work smoothly. Whether that be contact forms, popups, images, payment options, etc. These are what helps your website become a site that your target audience will enjoy and frequent.
Before you even build or have your site built you want to understand these pieces, so that the conversation or process can be one of in the know as opposed to being in the dark. These are simply terminology that any
web service will ask before even beginning to build your site.
Now that you have a bit of background you can hopefully understand the process that much better. Just remember the key elements involved:
- Hosting (the foundation)
- Domain/URL (site address)
- Platform (your build)
- Themes or Code (the furnishings)
And just as with your home, your website is your prime real estate online. Now it’s a matter of finding the right website realtor to build your online home.
Here’s to growing your business online.
Katrina Garcia started her entrepreneurial journey during one of the worst recessions our country has seen. Even through it all she has managed to build a successful business. Her ultimate goal through it all was to provide quality service to her client’s with integrity along the way, no hard sales simply results. From marketer of all to now a finally tuned business building websites and membership sites helping her client’s make money while they sleep.
She has worked tirelessly to build KG Website Designs to provide top notch service with an emphasis on customer service. Each client is treated to the highest standards possible ensuring true results.
On her off time, she works to keep up with all the latest technology in order to pass this on to her clients.
Her secret legacy project is to educate as many as possible on how to protect themselves from the online dangers, both seen and unseen threats.